Situated in the North Western Part of Rwanda close to the border of DR Congo’s Virunga National Park and Mgahinga National Park, the park is the most prominent in Rwanda to track the rare species of Mountain Gorillas as well as other primates like the common Golden Monkeys. There are 5 of the 8 Virunga volcanoes covering an area of 160 km2 and the volcanoes include Mount Karisimbi, Bisoke, Muhabura, Gahinga and Sabyinyo etc. The vegetation zones are different depending on the variation in altitude within the various regions of the park. Other than the Gorillas, there are other mammal species like the golden monkeys, black fronted duicker, spotted hyena, buffalo, bushbuck and elephants as well as 178 recorded bird species with at least 13 and 16 species being endemic to virunga and Rwenzori Mountains. The popular safari activities carried out in the park include;
- Gorilla Trekking; this is the most prominent safari activity carried out in the park due to the numbers of tourists it attracts to the country. There are 10 Gorilla families that can be tracked here and the trekking permit costs US $1,500 per person and the experience begins early in the morning at 7:00 pm.
- Golden monkey Tracking; these are also the other primates that is remarkable to track by tourists looking to enjoy primate safari holiday vacations in Volcanoes National Park Rwanda.
- Climbing-Mt. Karisimbi; this is a very exciting safari activity to take on while on vacation holiday in Uganda especially for the hikers all over the world. The hike takes a period of two days with a sleep over after camping at an altitude of 3,800 m.
- Climbing Mt. Bisoke; this is also amazing to take on by all travelers looking to enjoy the best of Uganda’s altitude. It is a 1 Day experience.
- Explore Twin Lakes; transfer a few kilometers away from Volcanoes National Park to explore the twin lakes of Ruhondo and Burera. You will enjoy watching the numerous bird species that inhabit the beautiful green vast forests as well as vegetation in Rwanda. You will watch small mammals wandering around from one place to another.
- Transfer to Musanze Caves; these are suitably located just outside the vast beautiful Volcanoes National Park and are amazing to be experienced by all tourists. These are very dark inside and require one only 90 minutes’ drive from Kigali. Before, these were used as a haven to people during the times of war in Rwanda.
- Hike to Dian Fossey Tomb; this is located at a higher altitude that requires travelers to be physically fit to get there. This is so remarkable for it is where the popular primatologist called Dian Fossey was buried after being murdered and here you will be informed about the Dian Fossey foundation and the story of this remarkable dedicated primatologist who surrendered her life to save that of the threatened species of Mountain Gorillas that were being killed mercilessly at the time.
- Discover Iby’Iwacu cultural village; this is strategically located just outside the prominent Volcanoes National park and offers unique cultural experiences to all kinds of travelers that involve in it. You will be welcomed by the people that were once poachers but have transformed their lives to conserving them. You will join them if you want to perform their cultural dances as well as music an experience that is un forgettable.